Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, January 3, 2019

December Reads

I've been savoring the end of the year and I'm not quite ready yet to post my "year in review" of 2018 reading life.   I'll get it posted, but first here is how I finished my year of reading.

You Are the Beloved: Daily Meditations for Spiritual Living
You are the Beloved by Henri J. M. Nouwen
I've been reading this devotional the whole year.  It was so perfect at times for my "needs" that it almost seemed like a "divine intervention" was at work.  He reads like an extremely wise, thoughtful, caring human being.  I definitely will be reading more of his works.- 5 stars

I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening): A Guide to Grace-Filled Political Conversations
I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening) by Sarah Stewart Holland and Beth Silvers

Thank you to Thomas Nelson Publisher for sending me this book to review .  I'm so lucky to be part of this book launch group.

It is a needed read by all Americans.  It is a conversation, exploration, and at times a disagreement that can help open our minds.  We need to open our minds in the American political arena- and it starts at home with myself.  

The book is co-authored by a Democrat- Sarah and a Republican- Beth.  These witty, super smart women have taken their Pantsuit Politics Podcast and put it on paper.  They want to make change by opening discussion on tough subjects.  They want to converse, not yell, or threaten.  

I found this book a ray of hope and also a fire under my butt to stop disregarding the news and get back into the political arena.

So many great quotes and ideas I wrote down from this book.  The following one says it all...

Prioritize being kind over being right Treat people online as though they are friends.  Talk about people who disagree with you  politically with the kind of love you show your family members.  Remember that you are part of something so much bigger than one election, one vote, and one law.  Remember that life isn't happening to provide you the opportunity to write one long Yelp review.  We need one another.  We belong together."- 156

One thing that caught me off guard was how much faith, Christianity, and God were mentioned throughout the book.  Faith is definitely a big part of both author's lives but I wondered if this would be off putting to those who don't have faith/religion in their life or those that aren't Christian.  I give this book 4 stars- perfect read to finish out this year.  Something to work on in 2019- conversation and "I'm listening".  

A Girl's Guide to Moving On (New Beginnings, #2)
A Girl's Guide to Moving On by Debbie Macomber
Two women cheated on by their husbands: one the father and the other the son.  Leann is recently divorced from the father and Nicole is going through divorce from the son.  They come together in support of each other and have a list of rules to follow as recently independent women.  Their stories take turns, every other chapter, unfolding their lives.  I listened to this book on audio, and really enjoyed the flow of the story and the main characters.  It was a combo of romance, reality and friendship/family.- 4 stars

I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life
I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of The Reading Life by Anne Bogel
This book is quaint in size, cover and form.  Essays about various parts of the author's reading life fill this quick read.  I liked it and could relate to many of her essays whole heartedly.  I wanted more though.  I felt like just when I thought she'd open up and share something personal the chapter ended.  For instance, I thought I was going to get to find out Anne's "three favorites, one hated, and what she's reading now" list- like she asks her Podcast's guests each week.  Alas, I was not allowed "behind the curtain".  I love Anne's podcast and this book is a perfect  companion to it.  - 4 stars

Alaskan Holiday
Alaskan Holiday by Debbie Macomber
The last two years I've started craving holiday stories after Thanksgiving.  I'm a closet Hallmark Movie junkie and so I'm wanting that same fulfillment in my reading life around the holidays.  So I found Debbie Macomber's lovely story of Josie Avery (a chef from Seattle) who is trying to figure out her life while working at an inn in the Alaskan town of Ponder  The characters in the story are overall endearing and the story is believable.  Listened to this book on Audio and really enjoyed it.  4 stars.  

Goodbye, Paris
Goodbye, Paris by Anstey Harris
I really enjoyed the complexity of the characters and their stories.  I love the cover too.  I appreciated the way in which the author so delicately, yet with brutal honesty, wrote about infidelity, miscarriage, divorce and the life of a musician.  I thought it was interesting that I didn't know the leading lady's name until several pages into the novel.  Grace is her name and she owns a music shop and she makes cellos, violins, etc.  David is the main man in her life- their relationship indeed complex.  Makes for great storytelling.- 5 stars.

Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1)
Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis
Fun romance story.  Some heavy/steamy, a little too descriptive, sex scenes (the kind you don't want anyone to hear you listening to out loud- i.e. not for kid's ears- definitely, and I'd not want my mother or in-laws to catch me listening to it out loud).  Story could have stood on its own without the added sex details, but I get that this subject matter likely sells.  Maddie and her sisters are drawn back to Lucky Harbor to inherit their mother's inn- she has recently died and left them the inn.  Maddie is trying to find herself after losing her job and boyfriend.  She is hopeful that Lucky Harbor will help her find her life/way.  - 4 stars

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen
Relish: My Life In The Kitchen by Lucy Knisley
I heard about this book on one of my favorite podcasts- What Should I Read Next.  I thought it sounded like a good challenge as I'm not a "fan" of graphic novels, but I do love memoirs.  I found it to be a highly enjoyable read.  The author through drawings and words tells the story of her love of food.  Through that love of food she traveled and experienced food internationally.  It also is a story of her childhood and family life- which is not perfect- a real story with food as one of the main characters.  - 4 stars

Well that's all folks.  I'll have my "year in review" up in a couple of days and I'll also be sharing my reading plan/goals for 2019.  Happy New Year and Happy Reading Life 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment