Netgalley

Professional Reader

Friday, April 5, 2019

DNF... a book

In racing lingo there is a term called DNF- Did Not Finish- meaning you didn't finish the race you were in.  DNS means you didn't start the race.  Well I'm having to post a review on a book that I DNF.  I rarely do this, especially if it is a book that has been sent to me to review, but alas almost half-way through the following book I just couldn't push further. I was mentally not into it and lately I'm feeling bogged down by travel, kid's activities, all the "to do's" and so when it comes to reading I don't want to feel like it is just one more thing "to do"/"to finish".  Reading is supposed to be enjoyable not a chore.

Breaking the Power of Negative Words: How Positive Words Can Heal by [Busha, Mary C.]
Breaking the Power of Negative Words
How Positive Words Can Heal 
by Mary C. Busha
This book was sent to me by Revell a division of Baker Publishing Group to review. #RevellReads

I started it and the first three chapters were just fine.  The premise is negative words that have been said to us, or that we have said can greatly impact our present/future.  For example, let's say you were told "you are homely" by someone you know (or even don't know) as a child.  That comment can if internalized and believed leads to some not great self esteem.  The first few chapters the author shares different stories she gleamed by interviewing different people who were affected by parent's comments in childhood and then leading into their young adult life. Many of these people persevered despite the negative comments and bad environments they were raised in.  They persevered by forgiving the person who did them harm.   She introduces the way in which we can forgive our verbal offenders. 

Then chapter four came about and I just couldn't "drink the Koolaid".  I struggled to follow along with her weaving of biblical scripture and stating many times the importance of reading the Bible.  She talked about how we need to "know our true selves" and hence move forward with forgiveness of past painful comments by others- just by knowing that God loves us.  Maybe it is the stage in my  life I'm in, but I felt this book quickly turned into an advertisement for daily Bible reading and Christianity/knowing God and praying to God being the answer to dealing with the "negative words" in our lives.   She emphasized the importance of scripture in our lives and I felt like that was her sole answer to the problems these negative words created.  She laid on heavily that if you weren't reading scripture you were, in my words, failing.  

I read the Bible and I do believe it's words and most of the message, but I also am not a literal Bible reader so I have always avoided those who push Biblical Scripture as the end all be all to world's problems.  I figured Chapter 4- The Truth About You- just wasn't for me so then I moved onto Chapter 5- Breaking Free Through the Power of Prayer.  I was hoping for some redemption here as I like reading about different forms of prayer.  However, I just was more lost and disappointed in the reading experience. 

I think this book just didn't speak to me.  I felt the writing was geared to an older demographic- I can't exactly state why I feel this way, but I felt like it was a grandma telling her child- "just go pray about forgiving that person who said that hurtful thing" and " read your Bible and you will find the answer".  

So Chapter 5 was where I stopped.  Interestingly enough this book on Amazon has almost 5 stars and Good Reads it clocks in at 4 stars.  So I think this book just isn't a "me" book.  I think I was hoping for applicable/every day ways,  that weren't related to reading Biblical scripture, to handle when people say not nice things.  I was hoping for reminders on how to watch what I say to my own children, patients, friends, family, and strangers.  We all need to work on communicating better and I recognize that I have let hard comments sit in my gut/heart too long.  I've also said hurtful things I wish I could take back.  Those type of topics were what I was hoping to get covered/answered in this reading experience.  Didn't happen so I'm DNF this one.

Hope Revell doesn't fire me from reviewing books for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment