Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, September 15, 2016

August Reads

Here are the books I read in August.  Always love to hear feedback on the books I read or even suggestions on future reads.
The Highly Sensitive Person's Survival Guide: Essential Skills for Living Well in an Overstimulating World
So I have been told since I was a young child that I'm a sensitive person.  For a long time I thought of this as a negative trait or label, but as I've aged I'm growing into acceptance of this being an OK thing for me.  If you go to Pinterest and type in "highly sensitive" people there is some interesting information. That is where I found the title of this book.  The book was a good read for me, but it brought to light I don't fit all the traits of a "true" highly sensitive person  (HSP) as Ted Zeff defines them.  If you're a sensitive person or you are in a relationship with a HSP I think it's worth opening this book.

One Hundred Names
One Hundred Names by Cecelia Ahern was a wonderful read and more importantly it introduced me to an author I haven't read before.  This is one of those books that has been sitting on my "to read" bookshelf for awhile.  So I picked it up and was not disappointed.  It is a great story about a newspaper journalist whose career, and social life is floundering. She gets involved in the writing of a story based on a list of 100 names which are written on a piece of paper by her mentor and friend.  This piece of paper is found upon the death of her mentor/friend.  You've got to read the book to find out what the names mean.
The Book of Tomorrow

Because I enjoyed "One Hundred Names" I went to the library and tried to find other books to read by Cecelia.  Again I thank "One Hundred Names" for the introduction to Cecelia, because I loved more "The Book of Tomorrow".  It is a great story, almost a mystery, with the main character Tamara coming into her teenage years, recently losing her father and finding her mother lost and of no help or comfort to her during the loss of her dad.  She has to figure out who she is and what kind of life she will now live.  The character building in the story is rich and there are definitely some great descriptive scenes so that the book almost reads like watching a movie or play.
Felicity

Trying to be better about reading poetry.  Mary Oliver helped me realize poetry isn't always "highfalutin", but instead can be real life descriptions stories in short form.  This book was OK, not some of my favorite poetry of hers.  However, if you haven't read any Mary Oliver I'd recommend it!

Not the most productive reading month, but I feel grateful for introduction to Cecelia Ahern and look forward to picking more books of hers' to read in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment