Netgalley

Professional Reader

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Blogging for Books- Take 3


Quick https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41aASqtzGNL._SX359_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
How to Think: A Survival Guide for a World at Odds by Alan Jacobs

Quick read. Didn’t enjoy the writing voice. Reminded me of a “blah” textbook style with so much referencing throughout the book. 

I think it was “too smart” for me. High power thinking/analysis. Liked some of the ways he tied in personal stories to topic, but a lot of referencing of other’s works made me lose some of the personal stories and ways in which I could tie the topic into my own life of thinking. 


What I got the most out of was in the afterword: The Thinking Person’s Checklist. This is what I could have used more of. One of my favorite lines of the book... “What is needed for the life of thinking is hope: hope of knowing more,understanding more, being more than we currently are.”


Thanks to Blogging for Books for supplying me with this book for review. Look forward to my next one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment