Netgalley

Professional Reader

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Thirsty for more... left me thirsty.



 


Thanks to Revell, division of Baker Publishing, for sending me this book to review. 

I was really looking forward to diving into this book as I have been feeling, myself, like I’m in a spiritual desert. The subtitle- discovering God’s unexpected blessings  in a desert season sounded like exactly what I needed. 

The author had some good points that spoke to me. Here are a few...

Pg 29 “Surrender. Let go. These old things don’t serve you anymore.”

Pg 81 “endings not only are guaranteed but also can be for our good- if we allow them to change the way we live our now. “

Pg 83 “But still, mothering remains a holy challenge- one that requires leaning into the grace of Christ...Remember the closest relationships. Remember the mothering. In the en, this will be the only question on your lips: How well did I love those closest to me?”


In general I think I had too high of expectations for this book. It just didn’t seem to work for me. The flow of the author’s writing and the interwoven scripture readings just didn’t give me a lot to fulfill my needs. She skipped around from various times in her life she was in the desert spiritually. Just when I thought I’d get an answer to my own questions about what one can do at those times the writing would switch to another “desert” example or a bible verse(s). I would lose connection and hence disrupt my reading flow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment