Netgalley

Professional Reader

Friday, July 19, 2019

Light from Distant Stars

Light from Distant Stars by Shawn Smucker
4.5 star read. Didn’t know what to expect with this book. When I receive books to review I try not to read much of the cover story. What I discovered is a story I’d describe has part family saga/drama part fantasy/mystery. Cohen, the main character tells the story over a 4 day period, but the author sneakily ( is that a word?), is able to do flashbacks to Cohen’s childhood within that 4 day period. Due to the nature of this story I don’t want to give much away the story line/plot.  I want you to come to this book with a “ clean slate” no cover story information. 

I will share some of my favorite quotes from the book. 

Pg 359 “fathers and sons, I don’t think they ever really know how to be with one another... I don’t know, I wonder if father’s and sons ever know how to be each other.”

Pg 376 Father James speaks quietly. “Sometimes people don’t have the power to be what we need them to be for us.”

Pg 377 “I think you’ve been waiting for the God of your childhood to return as well, but God is not in the past. God is always here. You must only open your eyes to see .”

Thank you to Revell, a division of Baker Publishing, for sending me this book to review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment