Netgalley

Professional Reader

Friday, August 31, 2018

Not the Boss of Us

Not the Boss of Us: Putting Overwhelmed in Its Place in a Do-All, Be-All World
Not the Boss of Us: Putting OVERWHELMED in its place in a do-all, be-all world
by Kay Wills Wyma

A much needed read for me at the time of life I'm in.  I was just telling a friend the other day that I think I'm more anxious/stressed about the beginning of school year  than the kids are.  I get nervous and worried about the new schedules and new "needs" my kids will require  for their academic and extracurricular lives.  How will I get everyone where they need to be, and work, take care of the house, make meals, and have some "fun" time among all of the "have to's".  

This book definitely made me realize I'm not a lone and so many mom's/parents/kids are dealing with the character OVERWHELMED.  I really liked how OVERWHELMED was personified and a player throughout this book.  I felt the book read like a memoir and less self-help.  However, there are some great "Water Station" sections that are big on how-to's throughout the book.  

The book utilized stories and events from Kay's life to highlight how OVERWHELMED can take over or how we can take control and say "no, no, no" OVERWHELMED you won't take over.  Kay's honesty in talking about tough times for her and her children (eating disorders, depression, perfectionism, suicide) made this writing genuine.

Here are a few of my favorite lines from the book (I underlined quite a few throughout the reading of this book).  
pg 23 " We all tend to be a flesh wound away from junior high insecurities"- AMEN!!!

pg 25 "I almost always need to hear whatever I'm telling my kids."-  Again spot on, almost like she is reading my mind.

pg 129 " Because it's actually in the trying not to miss out that we so often do. There is sacred in the ordinary."

pg 194 " One of the gifts of suffering is the detachment from things that we cling to, but don't really matter."

Of note this book does intertwine Christianity, but the way Kay went about this was so easy, not forced or judgmental.  I have really been struggling with some doubts about faith of late.  There are so many things in the world happening that just bring so much suffering, arguments, divisive national state, and are just inhumane .  I have to ask ,"Where are you God in all of this?".  Well the last chapter of this book was just what I needed.  The title alone is a " aha moment".  "Rather Than Be Overwhelmed by Any Trappings of This World, Be Overwhelmed by Hope."  I'll leave you a line that really made me think it's OK to question and doubt.  
pg 209 "The doubt actually increased my faith...Doubt led her to question, which led her to seek and to search and to test which road to travel."

Thanks Kay for such a needed read for this time in life I'm in. I'm giving it 4 starts Thanks also to Revell a division of Baker Publishing Group for sending me this copy to review.  


No comments:

Post a Comment