Netgalley

Professional Reader

Monday, August 13, 2018

Sad summer is ending...

It has been such a great summer all around.  I've been having so much fun I'm just now finally getting around to sharing my July "reads".  Here in no particular order are the books I read or listened to in July.  It was a month full of travel and family fun and I really thought I was going to get more reading in, but alas time with family and friends prevailed- which isn't a bad thing.

The Great Alone
The Great Alone by Kirsten Hannah
This book was a 5 star read for me.  I stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish it and that normally speaks to a book that really has me.  It was 440 pages and I read it in 4 days despite my family and work life- another sign of a good read.
 
It is a story of struggle and adventure in Alaska's wilderness.  The Albrights (Ernt, Cora and Lenora "Leni") move to Alaska for a fresh start.  Her father is a Vietnam POW and the war has changed him and he looks to Alsaka for a new start.  Leni and her mother are brought along for the ride.  No indoor plumbing, water or electricity is what awaits them in their new home.  Luckily they are supported by the community and particularly the Harlan family who live in their own "Alaskan compound".  Family stress, domestic violence, coming of age and finding yourself, "Alaskan" prepared are some of the themes seen early within this story.  Over time the book becomes a book about survival, finding oneself and love.  I think this is some of Kristen Hannah's best writing and storytelling.  Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the book:
 
pg 10 "I need a place where I can breathe again. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin. Up there, the flashbacks and shit will stop.  I know it.  We need this."  ~ Ernt
 
pg 124 "You were supposed to be safe in your own home, with your parents. They were supposed to protect you from the dangers outside" ~ Leni



I dare you to read this book and not like it.

Little Beach Street Bakery
Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan
My least favorite yet of her stories- three stars.  I listened to this book on audio and found it an easy read/listen.  I just couldn't get into the characters and their relationships.  The main player, protagonist, Polly, recently moved to Pollbearne (small fishing town Cornwall, England).  She is recently single and unemployed.  She decides to start baking bread to keep her mind off things and she ends up turning this baking into a new profession.  She meets some men along the way and hence their is the relationship building end of the story.  It was just OK- sorry Jenny - side note I love so many of her other books so think this one just wasn't for me. 
 
The Ensemble
The Ensemble by Aja Gabel
A well written, four star, story about 4 people- the ensemble- a cellist, viola player, and two violin players- Daniel, Henry, Jana and Brit.  I really appreciate the honesty Aja brought to these characters and their story.  She didn't Hollywoodize (I know not a real word- :)) their lives as musicians.  They read as real, imperfect, sometimes even mean/evil people.  The inter connection and relationships among all four read true.  Aja obviously knows music and the life of musicians as that part of the story was almost a story into itself.  Topics like: music agents, competitions and performances, practice time amongst real life schedule, overuse injury due to the physicality of the profession ( I had never thought about this before).  An intriguing read.  Bonus/plus- isn't the cover just beautiful.  I just realized when writing this post that there are four flowers standing out on the cover- hence nod to the four musicians that inhabit this story.
 
 



The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self Discovery
by Ian Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile
The Enneagram is a personality map and I feel like a big "craze" right now.  It helps a person figure out your personality type (the good, the bad, and misunderstood).  It helped me realize my positive and negative personality traits and how to celebrate/tolerate both.  Great beginner introduction to the Enneagram.  I gave it four stars.
 
 
The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (Millennium, #5)
The Girl who takes and Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz
Three stars audiobook.  This is the last/most recent book in the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series.  It was better than the book prior to this one.  However, nothing will ever compare to the first in the series.  Lisbeth Salander is back as the main character.  I always enjoy a strong, independent, intelligent leading lady and Lisbeth Salander doesn't disappoint.  This story starts with Lisbeth Salander in prison.  This part of the story was my favorite part of the book.  I will leave you with that as I don't want to give much more away. 
 
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Great read- gave it 4 stars.  Such a real read.  So real I thought I was reading historical fiction.  Love the years the story spans (1950's to present).  Monique Grant is getting Evelyn Hugo's story and the chance of a lifetime to write the truth and biography of Evelyn Hugo and her seven husbands.  Evelyn is a Hollywood film star who also married 7 different husbands along the way.  This was our read for book club and we had good suggestion and many of the Bookies really enjoyed the story.  Very entertaining read that hits on so many tough subjects from our country's history.  You'll have to read to see if you agree with me.  
 
The War I Finally Won (The War That Saved My Life, #2)
The War I finally Won by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
Three star audiobook.  This was the second in a series.  I so very much enjoyed the first in the series "The War that Saved my Life" that was so excited to get my listening ears on this one.  Unfortunately I just didn't enjoy it as much.  The story of Ada Smith and her brother continue during WWII.  It was a "flat" read for me.  I thought it was an easy read and appropriate junior fiction- just didn't have the same intrigue or "draw" that the first one had for me. 
 
 
 
Milk and Honey
Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
Hard stuff in this little book of poetry.  I gave it five stars as I really didn't even feel like I was reading poetry.  (Side note- I'm not a huge poetry person or so I think, but books like this remind me there are so many different poets out there maybe I do like poetry and need to find the right poets).  Despite the hard subject matter I found the words and writing to be beautiful.  Must read for women and young female teens- probably not a bad idea for some men to pick up too.  An empowering book for high school age girls.  Pencil drawings accompany some of the poetry.  The drawings reminded me of Shel Silverstein drawings, but in a much more adult "light". 
 
 
61 Hours (Jack Reacher, #14)
61 Hours by Lee Child
My husband has been asking me to read a Lee Child- Jack Reacher book.  So I finally gave in and picked this one out.  It was just OK- three stars.  A little slow for my liking in regard to mystery/action story.  I felt the ending was far fetched and not very believable.  My husband said this is what Child's books and character, Jack Reacher, are known for- getting out of the unbelievable.  I enjoyed the character Jack Reacher very much just think I need to try a different story with him in it.  Just not my best pick. 
 
Well that is it.  A fun filled month of travel and many of these went along for the ride.  Love my reading life!

No comments:

Post a Comment