Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Still: 7 Ways To Find Calm In The Chaos

Still: 7 Ways to Find Calm in the Chaos
Still: 7 Ways To Find Calm In The Chaos
by Jenny L. Donnelly
2 Stars.  Thank to Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group, for sending this book for me to review.

I was looking forward to this read due to wanting some REST in my life.  The premise of the book was the author was going to share how "to experience true, life-giving REST in the middle of chaos."  I thought it sounded perfect and much needed.  The author's answer, Jesus.

There is nothing wrong with this answer, and some of the book spoke to me and sounded reasonable, but I'm just in a different part of my faith journey.  I just felt like I was judging myself and my own relationship or lack of relationship with God while reading this book- not something I enjoy when trying to enjoy my reading experience.  

Jenny shares the 7 ways to "find full, surrendered REST" are:
1. Lean into God
2. Letting go and trusting God with your life.
3. Cultivating Intimacy with God
4. Putting on the Garments of Praise
5. Lying in the present in God's presence and power.
6. Entering the Garden, abiding with the Gardener
7. Wrestle into REST (deal with painful parts, irritations and frustrations in order to settle into REST).

I did find some favorite quotes from the book:
pg 60 "When we do 'religious' things but don't sense God's presence, we are alive and dead at the same time."
pg 73 "The key to total healing is found in total forgiveness."
pg 76 "I've heard it said that all fear can be narrowed down to one or more of the following 3 fears:
- I'm all alone
-I have no one to help me.
-I don't have what it takes."
pg 139 " To find REST, we must practice being right here in whatever conditions that we find ourselves."
pg 142 "Living in worry will steal your REST."

Not quite the way I wanted to start my 2020 reading season out, but alas you never know what your experience will be with a book until you dive in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment