Netgalley

Professional Reader

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Thank you Nina!

 So the day before the marathon I read about 6 months worth, or so it seemed, of blog posts I was behind on.  One of the blogs I follow is author Nina Sankovitch who wrote "Tolstoy and the Purple Chair".  She writes about books she has read and gives her reviews.  So when I read her write about how she was going to read "Beautiful Mystery" by Louise Penny and was told by friend "Oh you have to start at the beginning with the first book in the Armande Gamache mystery series.  So I wrote the name of this author down in my "to read" book list and when I got back from the marathon weekend I went to the library and found the first in the series called "Still Life" by Louise Penny.
This is the first in the series of 8 books starring Armande Gamache.  He is a Surete'/detective who goes to this quaint town in Quebec to solve a mystery.Three Pines seemed so real.  I found this read so refreshing because it was a good mystery with great plot and characters that were believable.  There were not gruesome/vulgar descriptions, just a good old mystery.  It took me a week to read and I enjoyed it so much I went back to the library and picked up the next one this past weekend.  



The second book again took place in Three Pines, the quaint town that the first book took place in.  Armande Gamache and various other characters from the first book returned to this book.  It was just as good as the first one.  It took me two days to finish- now granted we were traveling a lot- but it still kept me interested and made me want to finish the book.

I went to the library on Monday to find the next one in Aramande Gamache's series and was sad to find many of the Louise Penny books missing.  Someone must have found how good the books are too and checked a bunch out.  So now I'm on the hold list.  I figured it was a sign I needed to give Armande a rest and move on to other books.  I'm so thankful to have Nina suggested this author and this series.  Truly enjoyable reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment