Netgalley

Professional Reader

Friday, April 17, 2015

March Reads

Finally getting around to my post on what I read in March. 

Honestly, I thought I'd have read more than I did with two trips/travels, but I didn't. 

Here goes, in no particular order.

The Matisse Stories by A.S. Byatt
I picked this one because I had read an article about writers who take a piece of art and use it as a jumping off point or almost like a character in a story.  I enjoy art and liked this idea of pairing art within a story.  I didn't get these stories.  I think it is too high brow for me.  I looked at other's comments and most people really liked the short pieces.  I not so much.  Was actually disappointed how the art piece was utilized by Byatt.

Carry on Warrior: The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life by Glennon Doyle Melton
Great book.  My favorite one of the month hands down.  The following was taken from Glennon's blog site.  It gives you a feel for her personality, character, and honest writing, which I very much enjoy, appreciate and respect. 

For twenty years I was lost to food and booze and bad love and drugs. I suffered. My family suffered. I had a relatively magical childhood, which added an extra layer of guilt to my pain and confusion. Glennon – why are you all jacked up when you have no excuse to be all jacked up?
My best guess is that I was born with an extra dose of sensitivity to life’s brutality and my own nakedness. I didn’t want to walk through life’s battlefield of rejection, friendship, and tender love naked. So when I was eight years old, I made up my own little world called addiction and I hid there for decades. I felt safe. No one could touch me.
On Mother’s Day 2002, unwed and addicted, I found myself holding a positive pregnancy test. I decided to become a mother and vowed to never again have another drink, cigarette, drug, unhealthy relationship, or food binge. I found myself marrying a man I’d known for ten sober nights.
- See more at: http://momastery.com/blog/about-glennon/#sthash.GVoBgKL4.dpuf

The Last Letter from your Lover by Jojo Moyes
Ever since we read "Me Before You" for bookclub I have fallen in love with the characters and stories that Jojo Moyes weaves.  I have read three of her books thus far and just picked another one at the bookstore last Friday.  This one was probably my least favorite, but I still cried in part of the book and found the story engaging. 

Julia Gillian (and the Art of Knowing) by Alison McGhee
A read shared with my daughter.  We both really enjoyed this quirky story about a girl: Julia Gillian, her dog and her life as an only child to two teachers who are going back to grad school, and so Julia is kind of on her own throughout the story, supervised by an interesting neighbor who reads in her indoor hammock all day.  This is the first in a series and we will pick up the other ones in the future.  I will say reading aloud the name Julia Gillian over and over was at times challenging. 

Maggie and Max (The Puppy Place #10) by Eden Miles
Another read between my daughter and I.  She loves this series.  This book had an added bonus of not only finding a home for Maggie the dog, but her friend Max the cat.  Quick read and really fun.

Well that's it.  Already the middle of April and I have high hopes to get through a couple more books yet this month. Looking forward to sharing my April reads with you soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment