Netgalley

Professional Reader

Sunday, August 5, 2012

July Running

Can't believe where July has gone too.  My training has been good this month.  I got in 88 miles of running.  This puts me at 535 miles total for 2012.  In order to meet the goal of 1,000 +++ miles I will need to average around 78/month for the next 6 months.

As I've done in the past here are some of my favorite quotes from "The Runner's Book of Daily Inspiration" by Kevin Nelson

"I've learned to read my body very well.  By staying healthy I hope to run for the rest of my life.  That's the big goal now." -  Anne Audain, masters runner
Something to remind myself about as I continue on with my running/training throughout this year and the years to come.

"There are three goals in marathon running: to finish, to improve, and to win.  Which goal you strive for depends on what level of running you're at." - Hal Higdon, runner and writer

This man has been my first coach and continues to be my coach as I follow his training plans each and every year that I've trained for Chicago Marathon.  I think if you run enough over the years and train long enough for races you will agree with his thoughts above.

"If you want to win a race, you have to go a little berserk." - Bill Rodger, marathoner

I think my family and friends can attest to the above- that I'm a little berserk during training.

"Life is simple, however complex the organism may be; and everything goes to pieces when the living truth of the central simplicity is lost." - Rabindranath Tagore, philosopher

I thought this quote was simple and beautiful and so true!

"Ultimately the bond of all companionship, whether in marriage or in friendship, is conversation." -Oscar Wilde

I know this sounds more like a quote for marriage counseling or something, but what this quote is in reference to is when you are running you may see other runners and normally even if you are an extrovert like me you keep your thoughts to yourself. Oh sure I give a wave and sometimes a "hi", but I'm not a chatter unless BRB is with me.  However, Kevin (author) writes " two people, engage in a similar pastime, exchanging a few brief pleasantries.  That's all it was.  But sometimes that's pretty cool- and all you need at the end of a run.  Why take a vow of silence when you run? Just a brief exchange of pleasantries can be uplifting."


No comments:

Post a Comment