Netgalley

Professional Reader

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Have I told you lately how humbling running can be sometimes?

I am in Florida for a conference and so have this great opportunity to run in warm/sunny weather.  Well even though I've run the last two days, and I don't like to run 3 in a row, if I don't have to, this afternoon was the only time for awhile I could get a longer run in.

So I ate lunch, changed clothes and went out about 12pm to run 6 miles (10 min warm up, 4 x 4 at z3-4 with 3 min rest after each 4 minute z3-4 (70% max) followed by 10 min cool down).  Well first I don't know if I didn't write the right thing down for today's plan or messed up my math, but I finished the 4 x 4 with 3 minute rest period right when I got to about 3.5 miles, so I planned to just run easily the rest.  Then at 4.5 miles it hit me- this hasn't happened for a long time- I had to stop and walk.  I was exhausted, sweaty and thirsty- no really PARCHED! 

So I walked until mile 5 and then ran the last one.  It took me 1 hour 8 minutes to run 6 miles (11:20 minute mile pace).  Not sure what happened other than I was reminded about how I don't do well in humidity and mid day runs are hard for me.  The scary or intimidating thing for me now is because of my conference schedule the next time I can run a long run (10 miles) will be Saturday after the conference ends.  So I will be basically heading back out there to run again around 12 pm. 

This time I will come prepared.  None of this interval training stuff- just run 10 miles.  I'll bring cash to buy gatorade, etc along the way to refuel with and lastly if I walk, I walk- getting the miles in is what has always gotten me far so I'm sticking to it.

Anyways- just thought I'd share this fun humbling afternoon run adventure.  Doesn't matter how many years I've been running or continue to run I know I will have afternoons like these.  I'll keep running though :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment