Netgalley

Professional Reader

Monday, April 1, 2013

March Reads

I kind of felt like I didn't read very much this past month, but then I looked at what I did read and I feel like I read quite a bit. I'll briefly highlight the books below and leave the best for last with some fun pictures.... you'll understand in a minute.

Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2)  This is the sequel to "The Giver" by Lois Lowry.  I liked the "Giver" more, but again was amazed by how writers can come up with some of these fantasy/apocalyptic plots, etc.  As my friend HB says about writers "she writes beautifully"- this is how I feel about Lois' writing.  I was a little disappointed that it didn't continue right away from the end of "The Giver" right into "Gathering Blue", but I'm a little concerned that because I'm not a real "fantasy reader/ end of the world reader" that I've missed something.  So now I'm definitely reading her third one that finishes this series to make sure I haven't forgotten or missed something. 
       

  Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith  I already posted on this one- Anne Lamott's book was an enjoyable read and thought provoking. I will never forget her line about yelling at her son made her feel like she had just "Bitch slapped ET".  I also thought she gave a more realistic view of faith applied to real life setting.   I tried listening to another of her books on tape- Fiction- and didn't enjoy it that much. However, she has other nonfiction books I plan to read.
 
  The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)  I love the Armand Gamache Mystery series by Louise Penny, but this was probably one of my least favorites thus far.  However, I really enjoy her character development and love the people from "Three Pines" so continue to look forward to 4 more books in this series.   

  Fair Weather  I had been wanting to read this young adult fiction about The Chicago World's fair.  This was an enjoyable read and I found the book just another reason why I love Chicago history so much.  Ever since reading "Devil in the White City" I've wanted to read more about the Chicago's World Fair.  This book has been on my "to read" list for awhile and I'm glad I made time to read it.  I think it might be a little slow going for my young ones, but I'll introduce it to them in years to come.
 
   Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) The kids and I finished the first Harry Potter book.  Now bookies don't kill me, but I really thought it was just O.K.  However, I enjoyed the book more than the movie.  We will continue on to the second one once my oldest is ready to enter the world of Harry Potter again.  He was a little scared towards the end of the movie and even with the suspense at the end of the book.
 
Last but not least my book club book for this month "Making Piece" by Beth Howard.  I know I've told you before, but I really love my book club.  They are some of the most genuine people/women I know and many of them are my good friends.  This book club night was especially fun... My coworker and good friend Trudy invited us all over at 6:30 instead of our normal meet time of 7 pm with the ploy that she was serving dinner.  I arrived and I knew something was up because I didn't see much food out- and you know me and my love for food- and if you know Trudy she loves to cook/bake, etc so where was the dinner? Well after everyone arrived we had some veggies, chips and salsa and talked about the book some.  Then Trudy announced we were all going to make pie, let it bake while we ate dinner, and continue our discussion.  It was a great night as proof by the fun pictures.  For many in my book club it was a first time event of making pie, but for others they were old pros. As usual I was surprised by some of the reactions to the book and the character, main one in particular- the author. I think that is why it is good to be in a book club.  Because despite how you read a book your fellow Bookies will show you other ways in which a story can be read, understood, loved and/or hated.   I really enjoyed this book and this is one of my favorite book club nights. 


Some were prettier than others.


We had a great mix of expert pie makers and novices.


I just couldn't get my dough to work- thank goodness for good friends.


They turned out great!
I'm forever grateful for great Bookies, Books and Apple Pie!
 
Making Piece: a Memoir of Love, Loss and Pie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment