Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, October 3, 2019

September Reads

We are in one of my favorite times of the year "fall".  It is also one of the busiest times of the year.  Despite the busy days I'm still enjoying some great reads.  Here is what I read in September.  Excited for the next 3 months of reading to round out this decade and 2019.

The Silent Patient
The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
4 star read.  First off this cover is one I won't forget for quite awhile.  Theo Faber is a psychotherapist who comes to "The Grove" a psychiatric hospital/prison focused on becoming Alicia Berenson's therapist.  Alicia has not spoken a word since she murdered her husband. She was a famous painter and her husband was a fashion photographer.  Through Theo's quest to help his patient talk again the story and murder begins to unfold.  It was a FAST read- I wanted to find out the why/how/who.  Will make for some interesting book club discussion this month.

A Life of Lovely: The Young Woman's Guide to Collecting the Moments That Matter
A Life of Lovely: The Young Women's Guide to Collecting the Moments that Matter
by Annie F. Downs
4 star read.  Annie F. Downs was a recent guest on my favorite podcast "What Should I Read Next" with Anne Bogel.  I really liked her voice and presence on the podcast and when I found out she was an author herself I went to the library to check out what books were available.  This was the only one there.  So although the title indicates this book is for "younger women" and I'm in my early 40's I took the plunge, because I do feel "young at heart".  I found this book an easy read with some great life quotes and stories interwoven with Bible Stories and Christian songs that remind me of the life I would like to lead.  Here are a few of my favorite quotes/thoughts from the book.

pg 5 "Grace reminds me less of who I am and more of who I want to be."

pg 140 "We need real life, flesh-and-blood friends, to keep reminding us WE ARE NOT ALONE."


The Forgiving Kind
The Forgiving Kind by Donna Everhart
4 stars. This cover too is just beautiful- I think.  This book was sent to me by a book friend and I really appreciate the gift.  It was a tough read for me because I was frustrated, angry, and sad with the events occurring in the book.  I thought the author did a great job of writing about all the tough topics while not being judgmental.  The leading lady in this book is 12 year old "Sonny" (real name Martha) who is faced with tragedy when her father dies and leaves her, her mother and two brothers. Her family relies on cotton crops and has land they plant each year.  With her father gone their future is up in the air, until a neighbor, Mr. Fowler, arrives to help the family out. Right from the entrance of him onto the page I had a really bad feeling about him.  Sonny's best friend, Daniel, also has the same "feeling".  The story unravels with the trials this family has to face.  Sonny has further personal trials to face in regard to her relationship with Daniel.  I thought the author did a great job exploring Daniel's own struggles with coming to terms with his own life- fatherless, mother is the town "slut" and a sister who is following in their mother's footsteps, while he is trying to figure out who he is.  This too was a fast read as I wanted to see how the story would end.  Sonny was a great leading lady.  

Cottage by the Sea
Cottage by the Sea by Debbie Macomber
4 stars audiobook.  Loved the relationship building throughout this love story.  Really appreciated that the main character is a physician assistant, highlighting advanced practice providers.  Annie, the protagonist, has gone back to the beach cottage her family enjoyed on summer vacations.  However, she's now alone- no family left.  Keaton sees Annie walking along the beach and knows she is the girl, that girl, from his childhood's summers.  Keaton is obsessed with her but he is a big man of little words.  Other relationships interweave with Keaton and Annie's.  Debbie Macomber always seems to draw in some tough topics with her story telling.  This one is no different: domestic abuse, animal abuse, teen pregnancy. Another easy read that went by fast.  

The Bookshop of Yesterdays
The Bookshop of Yesterdays by Amy Meyerson
3 stars. Audibook.  First off this book is a reminder that I have too many books on my physical and digital "to be read" bookshelf.  As I was listening to this book I decided to do some organizing of my physical reading room shelves and found this book in hardback on my shelf- note to self I have too many books TBR. 

This book was a disappointment to me as I always love a good story that takes place in a book shop or library.  The bookshop had some presence, but wasn't a main character and I felt that was a disappointment.  This story really revolves around a mystery- why did Miranda's Uncle Billy leave her the bookstore.  Uncle Billy always had the best birthday surprisesfor Miranda.  He would take her on scavenger hunts for her birthday and make her solve puzzles before getting her gift.  However, on Miranda's 12th birthday Billy and her mother have a falling-out and he disappears from her life.  Now as a young adult she is teaching school on the east coast and gets a letter notifying her of her Uncle's death and her being given ownership of the bookshop via his will.  Along with the bookshop he has left her one more scavenger hunt. I just wasn't captured by this story line or the characters.

A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)
A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny
3.5 stars audiobook.  I'm making my way through the series a second time by listening to the story on audio.  I found this book more enjoyable the second time.  I find the stories that don't physically take place in Three Pines less enjoyable.  This story takes place at a resort in the Canadian woods.  Inspector Armand Gamache and his wife are celebrating their anniversary at the resort. They come every year to celebrate their anniversary at the resort and therefore know many of the staff very well.  They become involved when a murder takes place on the resort's grounds This murder does have some connection to Three Pines as two of the main characters and possible suspects are their friends from Three Pines- Peter and Clara Morrow.  I found Louise Penny's idea for how the person was murdered one of the most intriguing parts of this story.  Louise always knows how to write about the hardest part of humanity within the pages of her books- family conflict, lies, deception, loneliness, and desire to belong. 

Forged Through Fire: A Reconstructive Surgeon's Story of Survival, Faith, and Healing
Forged Through Fire by Mark D. McDonough, MD
4.5 stars.  This book was previously reviewed and you can access the full review here:

I want to thank Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group, for sending me this book to review.  

Love Changes Everything: Finding What's Real in a World Full of Fake
Love Changes Everything: Finding What's Real in a World Full of Fake
by Micah Berteau
2 stars.  This book was previously reviewed and you can access the full review here:

Thanks to Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group, for sending me this book to review.  



You Belong with Me by Tari Faris
You Belong With Me by Tari Faris
4 stars.  This book was previously reviewed and you can access the full review here:

Thanks to Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group, for sending me this book to review.

Approval Junkie: My Heartfelt (and Occasionally Inappropriate) Quest to Please Just about Everyone, and Ultimately Myself
Approval Junkie by Faith Salie
3 stars Audiobook.  I too am an approval junkie so this book intrigued me.  I appreciated her honesty and comical relief throughout the pages.  I didn't always follow all chapters as some of them had name dropping of actors/comedians that I don't know.  I don't listen to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, a NPR program she is involved with, so much of that topic was lost on me.  Her most heart felt topics were: the wasband (what she so wisely calls her ex), her trials with trying to become a mother, her body image issues, her children and her husband.  

Well that ends September.  It was good month with a couple of the books hitting high ratings and a frequent word I used to describe many of these books... "a FAST read" which normally means some good stuff.  Happy Fall Reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment