Netgalley

Professional Reader

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Twas the Night before Ash Wednesday...

and all through the house I looked and looked for sweets and candy to say goodbye to or eat :).

Yep- that time of year where I'm giving something up for Lent.  Nope, I'm not Catholic, but I've always tried to follow this Lenten ritual.  This year I decided on Sweets (candy, cookies, donuts, etc).  It should be interesting.  I've already given up pop (last fountain soda January 3rd).  My father in-law didn't know I had given up pop/soda and bought me Diet Green River this past week.  For those of you who aren't familiar this is a syrupy lime soda that has been around a long time, you are missing out on a real treat.  People use to go to fountain/soda shops and order Green Rivers.  You can still get a real Green River from the Soda/Ice cream Parlor at the Iowa State Fair.  So my goal is if I keep up the no soda I can have a green river when I go to this year's state fair. So I have pawned off the Diet Green River on 2 cardiologists I work with.  We'll see if they appreciate the drink as much as I do.

O.k. back to the sweets- hopefully giving up sweets will start to change my diet in prep for trying to be healthier during this upcoming marathon training season.  I'm known for my love of "fair foods" or "junk food" and all of us know that this probably isn't going to cut it if I want to improve on my time for this year's marathon.  I'll keep you posted on the "no sweets" over the next 40 days.  If I'm appearing cranky or crabby this may explain the mood. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW...no sweets! I am impressed. I know I would fail at that...my Lenten resolution is processed sweets...no Oreos, Nutter Butters, etc. I am still allowing myself dark chocolate and homemade oatmeal cookies made with brown sugar and whole wheat flour. Everything in moderation. Regarding pop, I haven't had it since August and do not miss it at all. I feel better, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete