Netgalley

Professional Reader

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mother/Son 5K

So this morning, bright an early, Mason and I drove to City High School in Iowa City to participate in the "Get Moving" 5K.  This 5K is a fundraiser for our local school clinics, which happen to be run by many of my colleagues- nurse practitioners.  My running buddy and I thought it would be a good idea to do the run along with our two oldest kids (both first graders).  I was unsure how long we would actually run and what kind of whining I would have to deal with during the run. 

Mason did great!  He ran the first mile and then ran/walked the rest of the race.  Primarily walking up hills, but otherwise was always moving.  He really enjoyed it.  He started talking about how he wanted to do it next year with dad and Kate too.  I think my favorite question/quote of the run was "Mom do I get to throw my cup down on the street?"- this in reference to the water stations that were thankfully set at mile 1 and mile 2.5.  It was worth the early rising and I'm so glad to have had this experience with him.

He's excited to put another ribbon on his bulletin board.

1 comment:

  1. This is the best and just warms my heart!!! What an awesome thing to do. Way to go, Mason, and way to make a healthy lifestyle fun for your whole family, Nat.

    ReplyDelete