Netgalley

Professional Reader

Friday, April 6, 2012

Mrs. Miniver and The Enchanted Cottage

I'm not quite sure what is wrong with me this week.  I've been exhausted.  So exhausted that I haven't read much, but have instead turned to watching some movies I borrowed from my mom's collection.  Here are two I watched this week and one was an Oscar winner in 1942- cross another one off my list of "Best Picture" movies to watch. 


The Enchanted Cottage starred Dorothy McGuire, who to me is Mrs. Swiss Family Robinson.  The movie was very fairy tale like and I really enjoyed it.  The story is played out via a blind man's eyes and words- he is the narrator and I thoroughly love flash back movies/stories so this was a perfect way to tell the story.  Dorothy Mc Guire plays a very homely girl named Laura Pennington.  The story mainly revolves around her and her time in the "enchanted cottage".  I really can't say much more, because that would ruin the story/fantasy.  Out of the two movies I enjoyed this one the most.  It didn't win an Oscar, but it is a movie I would likely watch again.  


Mrs.Miniver one Best Picture in 1942.  It also one several other Oscars (Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Screenplay, and Best Cinematography Black and White).  I found this film to be a tad bit disappointing.  I thought there was substance that was lacking in the movie and the acting appeared like acting- not real life.  I looked at the other movies competing for this coveted award in 1942 and the only one I recognized was "Yankee Doodle Dandy"- which I love and is in my top 25 musicals list.  Don't get me wrong the movie had definite heart wrenching parts, but overall was a little to fluff at times for me.  Worth watching once, but I likely won't watch it again.  

Both of these movies helped transport me away to two different worlds and both were enjoyable, but "The Enchanted Cottage" takes the cake this week for "Best Picture".  I thank my mom for having such a great "classic movie" collection I can borrow from whenever I want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment