Netgalley

Professional Reader

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Running with Rae

So tonight I went to We Run in North Liberty, Iowa and ran with Rae Heim.  I've included some of her story below (the start of her story is the first part taken from her facebook Rae's Run Across America)
and I also put in the Soles4Soles info for those interested.

First off, anyone who does any type of charity work be it little or big is a "good peeps" in my book.  However, people like Rae who step up in a huge way with a huge challenge amaze me.  

The night started with a group run which in all truthfulness wasn't that great for me.  I'm not use to running at 6pm at night in the heat and wind.  I ran with Rae for about the first mile and I chatted with her of course.  She said the first week was the hardest of her challenge.  She had no rest days and was mentally spent.  She now runs 3 off 1.  She averages about 20 miles daily.  She use to run with a jog stroller, but the  wheel broke and now she is just running with a back pack on her back.  She carries her  water, fuel, Ipad, other supplies for the day run in the backpack.  So she's not only running barefoot, but military style with pack on her back.  I asked her what she was going to do when she gets done with this and she didn't really know, maybe apply to UNLV or college in California.  After about a mile we parted ways.  I ended up running most of the rest of the run solo- which I kind of feel is a norm for me these days.  It's not a bad thing, but I do miss running with other people especially my BRB.

I finished the run- it really wasn't my best- and then Rae spoke to the group about her "Running Across America".  She is only 18 so she kept the talk short but sweet.  She started the run in April and the worst part of the run she said, thus far, was the state of New Jersey.  People honked at her, in a nice way, gave her the bird and yelled absurdities the whole run across New Jersey.  She said the Midwest has been funny because she has been pulled over 5 times by cops thinking she is a homeless person or hitchhiker or runaway.  She tells them she is running across America, but she doesn't think any of them have believed her.  If the road gets too hot she runs in NINJA 5 five finger socks.  She was asked who motivates her and she said her mom and sisters and also the kids she has met across America at different stops who say they are going to run because she does and that keeps her running.  It was a great ending to a tough run.  Super impressed with this young lady.

Here is Rae- barefoot- talking to the group

Yep- I look sweaty momma (no my hair isn't dyed in the front I'm that sweaty- guess I should've kept my hat on :).  Rae was super nice and got picks with everyone from the group run.  


From Sea to Shining Sea -- http://flavors.me/raeainslee
Description
"When I was fifteen years old, I became passionate about something that I never thought to be possible. I entered a seven-mile road race on a whim; I entered about three hours before the race was scheduled to begin. I had never run more than a mile and absolutely hated the thought of pounding the pavement. But somewhere and somehow during those ridiculously hilly seven miles in Davenport Iowa, I fell in love with the very concept of running.
I am seventeen now and still very much in love with my former enemy. Although I have not been running long, I have finished five half marathons and two full marathons, the last three of which I ran fully barefoot. I continue to be amazed each time I cross the finish line; I never thought I would even run two miles.
I had an epiphany of sorts about five months ago. I finally realized why I was running, what my purpose behind it was. I want to help people. I want to make my running have an impact on other people’s lives. I want to tie my running into the soles of others.
I am planning on running across the United States of America, beginning on April 1st, 2012. I am raising money for the Christian Organization, “Soles4Souls”. The concept of their company is to find shoes for people in need. Although I am a barefoot runner I know shoes are important to people’s lives; after running 26.2 miles barefoot it is very apparent how well off the majority of us are. "
-Rae Heim

Rae has been living in Las Vegas since January. She's a manager at Anytime Fitness on East Lake Mead Blvd & training in a little more weather friendly climate than Iowa. She is currently running about 15 miles on weekdays and up to about 27 miles a day Saturday and Sunday.
April 1st is getting closer and closer... exactly one week until she makes her flight across country to Boston to begin her journey.

To Donate to Soles4Souls click on the link below:

http://www.soles4soulsfundraising.org/cgi-bin/view_profile.cgi?id=2766

To Donate to Rae's Personal Travel Expenses send a check to:

Rae Heim - Runs America
119 4th St. #505
Des Moines, Iowa
50309

You will receive a postcard receipt for your expense donation. Please include your address.



Soles4Soles


Our Mission

Soles4Souls collects new shoes to give relief to the victims of abject suffering and collects used shoes to support micro-business efforts to eradicate poverty.Soles4Souls’ other two divisions, Clothes4Souls and Hope4Souls, provide the same relief and support through clothing and other necessities.

Our History

Soles4Souls has a simple concept: we procure shoes and get them to those in need.
In the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami that hit Southeast Asia, Wayne Elsey, the Founder ofSoles4Souls® Inc., felt compelled to do something. Like many of us, he did not know what to do. He was at home one night, watching TV and he saw a picture of a single shoe washing up on the beach. That triggered a few calls to some other executives in the footwear industry and the subsequent donation of a quarter of a million shoes to victims in the devastated countries.
A few months later when Katrina hit, Wayne called the same group of friends, and through our continued support, we have sent over a million pairs of shoes down to the gulf coast communities affected by the hurricane. In all honesty, he admits that he did not expect such an immediate and successful turnout. This left him wondering, why not start a non-profit and do this all the time? One year later, Soles4Souls was formally created.
It has been that simple: changing the world one pair at a time.







No comments:

Post a Comment