Netgalley

Professional Reader

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Where does the time go?

I can't believe it is almost a week until Christmas Day.  Where has December gone? Where has 2012 gone?

I've been trying to take some time this week to really enjoy the things I love about x-mas or things that are a tradition or comforting.  One of my favorite Christmas decorations is this stained glass Christmas Tree I had in my room growing up.  it is about 8 inches tall and 6 inches wide.  There is a votive candle that sits behind the tree and lights up the green and red stained glasses of the tree when lit.  When I was little I remember asking my parents to light it when I went to bed at night.  I know- living on the edge- with a fire hazard burning while I slept, but I loved the reflection of the tree shadow on my bedroom wall growing up.

Last night and the night before I made and effort to light it while getting ready for bed and let it burn as I drifted off to sleep.  Seeing the shadow of the tree on the wall was so comforting.  Where did the time go?  When did I grow up and become an adult, a mom, a provider?  Seems like just yesterday I was lying in the bed my son now sleeps in at my old house with my green bedroom furniture (remember it was the 70's when I was born).  These memories impressed on me in living in the here and now, because time will fly by and I'll lose those memories if I don't recognize them.

 Every morning I get up and look at a two sayings I have taped to my bathroom mirror "You Must Be Present To Win"- reminder to live in the present, and below it a quote my friend told me awhile ago- "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it".  Now if only I could figure out how to live both these sayings daily.

So we are 7 days from one of my favorite days of the year.   I'm trying to stop and really enjoy this time, because life is to short and unpredictable and I just don't want to look back when I'm 88 and say "I regret" or "I could have done this differently".  I have a couple of ideas how to accomplish this goal- live every day to its fullest- no really- make sure I'm doing what I want professionally and personally.  If not than I have to change it.  Surround myself with my "peeps" and avoid or remove those that are toxic to my life.  Lastly- really be "present" when with my loved ones (son, daughter, husband, family, and friends).  I'll keep you posted on how I go accomplishing these lofty goals/ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment