Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, July 3, 2014

June Reads

Every Woman's Guide to Cycling: Everything You Need to Know, From Buying Your First Bike to Winning Your First Race by Selene Yeager

Great book for anyone to read about cycling. I found the tips and the information helpful. Would recommend this to anyone interested in cycling or thinking about picking up cycling. Written well with less jargon and more of an easy "laymen's terms" style of writing which made the reading easy and enjoyable. A Life Without Limits. Chrissie Wellington with Michael Aylwin I had heard about this book and Chrissie Wellington in some of the readings I've done in regard to triathletes/women triathletes. I thought the book was good, but this lady is way out of my league. She is a natural and has done well winning Ironman Hawaii 4 times I believe. She has endured some injuries and prevailed. Her first coach sounded tough as nails and not all there mentally, which is to say how many of us are all there mentally, but he was the type of coach that would have made me cry and quit pretty much day one. I thought it was a good read, but it had kind of been talked up so I thought I was going to gain some great knowledge or have a "aha" moment or become uber motivated in reading this book and alas my expectations, as usual, were just too high.

Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint by Nadia Bolz-Weber

This was the book my pastor had recommended for me. I thought it was good, but not great. I think I was expecting a Anne Lamott book and writing style and alas again had put too many expectations on poor Nadia. however, I did think her view of religion and spirituality fit well with my views and hopes for religion. It was a good book to start my probing/question answering journey on what religion means to me and what my faith really is comprised of.

The Space Between (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls #2) by Kiki Thorpe, Jana Christy

Read this book mainly with daughter, but son would join in listening every now and then. I liked the first book better, but this one was still entertaining. This is kind of a mom/daughter series as I have had my own mom/son books in the past. It is something my daughter looks forward to reading and has less mystery/suspense as other books I've read aloud with both kids- normally along with Harry Potter/Percy Jackson line etc. We are getting ready to start book 3 in this series and have book four on the shelf waiting when we are done.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

One of my goals this summer is to be working through reading the Newberry Award winners. This is one of them. It won the award in 1968. I know I sound like a broken record, but it was just O.K. It was a little dated in the writing/wording, which normally didn't bother me, but this time it seem to be apparent with each reading. The kids enjoyed it though and that is really what matters. Looking forward to reading many more Newberry Awards this summer.

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg

This book took me a little over a month and a half to read. It was really good and it was almost like a textbook in writing. I took notes throughout. I plan on sharing parts of it in upcoming post. This book had been recommended at the writing conference I went to this past spring. I liked her views on writing and different takes on character development, plot, use of words! I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in writing- appropriate for teens interested in writing too.

The Circle by Dave Eggers

This was our book club book for June. It was a toughy for me. I just really didn't enjoy it. It was based on the premise of social media invading our privacy- we all become "all knowing". I think I didn't enjoy the book because it made me uncomfortable. Although I'm very extroverted and like sharing my life with others I do not like the idea of having my every move be visible to all those around. I also don't like the idea of feeling connected to technology 24/7. Sometimes I think I waste way too much time on deleting all the spam from my emails, checking and rechecking texts, facebook, etc. I think social media/phones/email are taking us away from our interactions- those real interactions with others. I also thought the book was just too long- could've been condensed and gotten the same story across.

Some good reading was done this month. Some very good books, some just "meh". Onward to July and another month of summer reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment