Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Week 10 Training for 70.3- Reality Hits- I will likely be last in my age group.

What does this mean- it means I'm realizing that I will likely finish this race, but not sure how speedy I will be.  I looked at times from last year's race and I can hang with the swim time as a middle of the packer, but my bike and run times are slower putting me likely last to come in for my age group.  Now I don't think I'll be dead last- maybe I will- but last year some guy finished in 10 hours- shoot me now if I'm still out there at 10 hours- no really don't shoot me (you know I'm anti guns and everything so shooting not permitted). 

So besides hitting reality last week during training I accomplished the following and had a few other thoughts.

Total mileages: 89.17
Swim: 2.17 mile
Bike:  68 miles
Run: 19 miles

A lot of mileage right!  Well yes so why do I feel like last week was a disappointing week of training.  Here are a few I came up with.

1. Monday Swim was suppose to do at least 2000 yds.  I didn't even want to go to the pool.  So I felt like it was an accomplishment that I found my way after a busy day at work to swim in rec center pool.  I swam 1250 free style and then did 250 of kickboard.  My comment for my daily training journal on that day says it best: "Hope this doesn't come back to bite me".  Reference to slacking off and not doing the distance I was suppose to.

2. My long run of 13 miles was slow as molasses.  It lasted almost 2 1/2 hours.  Now this time would not at all bother me if I had already swam 1.2 miles, and biked 56 miles like I will have to in the race, but I didn't do anything but run 13 miles that day.  My legs were dead. Mid run I new I had a blister on the pinky toe of my left foot.  I took off my shoe at the end and couldn't believe that the blister hadn't popped- it was huge!  I was just going through the motions on that run and trying to get the mileage done, which I did, but not pretty picture at the end.

3. At the end of my 50 mile bike ride with hubby (aka coach) instead of feeling pride for getting some major mileage under my belt all I could think about was "I have 6 more miles on the bike and a 1/2 marathon to complete during the race". 

It is middle of my training and I'm at high mileage training time and am getting my typical burned out/crabby/doubting self.  I'm also heavily questioning my sanity.  I'm seriously wondering "What in the hell did I get myself into?  70.3 Really, why couldn't I just start out a little smaller with like an Olympic distance race?"

Well a week has gone by and this current week of training hasn't been much better or easier.  I've had a sudden change in attitude over the last few days though- trying to take it day by day and not beat myself up too bad mentally.  I'm also just trying to stick with getting the mileage in even if it means going slower or walking during some of my runs.  We will see if this all "comes back to bite me" in less than 6 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment