Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, January 31, 2013

January Running

I breathe a sigh of relief actually of relaxation.  January's running goal is over.  I'm a little disappointed with this week, but I'm overall super happy with my mileage: 70 miles for the month.  That was running 30 out of 31 days (I didn't run the day I stayed home from work sick).  My mileage was mainly comprised of a lot of short runs, but my body kind of fought me this past month.  I had some aches/tightness/ and pains that disturbed me enough to stick with 1 mile or more as my goal and was quite frequently doing just that one mile.  I think I just might be getting a little old- or that is my excuse to maybe not try "the running every day thing" again :).  Looking back I haven't had a week off since October 8-15 2012.  This of course the week after the marathon.

I'm ready for a break.  I'm hoping this break will be just what I need to get my body and my brains back into training/running. A week of no early mornings, no runs after work, no worrying about weather, and as many nights as I want staying up late reading/catching up on movies instead of getting to bed to accommodate extra physical activity during the day.  However, I think a week is just long enough, because longer time off scares me- like I'd fall into not running like I should and definitely get derailed off my goal of 1,000+++ miles in 2013.   I think it will help me to return to running and not have to run 7 days a week and be able to plan my running schedule to accommodate some longer runs I've been missing- physically and mentally.  Long runs are I think a little more my style sometimes.  I don't take it quite so personally if I run slower during long runs, because 10 miles is still 10 miles.   There are a lot of people who can do 5- 6 mile runs at much faster time than I can, but many of those same people would never think to run 10 miles because they wouldn't be able to a. keep their 8 min/mile pace maybe at that longer distance (unless they trained for awhile- unless they are of course those people who just get to be great at whatever they try their hands at). b. they'd not make the time to run the 10 miles or c. they'd get too bored during the run ( which as you know isn't a problem for me because I get to listen to more of my books on tape - sorry audiobooks (I'm still living in the 90s I guess), get free therapy by running with my BRB or listening to some great music which makes me remember great memories or great movies.  Yep I think I'm a longer distance runner, but just one of those slower longer distance runners.

I talked to a friend the other day and was kind of frustrated with my running this past month- I wasn't running fast enough or long enough.  She said "what would make you happy"- It was a great question from one of those really smart people who always has pretty good intuition- better than I ever will.  She is one of those people who also told me about 2 years ago when I was having friendship issues "those aren't your peeps".  She was so right!   Just like her question about my happiness was so right- kick in the a_ _ to tell me to be happy with what I accomplish. 

So 70 miles down-only 930 miles to go- isn't that crazy and overwhelming!  That is so why if you take up running and especially long distance running and training for long distance races like 1/2 and full marathons, and ultras (no I haven't done that one :))- you have to take the training one day at a time.  The miles are easier and distances covered more comfortably if you take it one day at a time or even one week at a time. 

So I told my fellow running friends at Daily Mile adios - hello one week vacation from running- I deserve it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment