Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Running in 2013...

So I'm back in the saddle... ran 4 miles this a.m. and felt 100% BETTER! No idea what I had or if I just was exhausted, but due to lying in bed all Tuesday night and most of yesterday I had some time to finalize some of my running/training plans for 2013.  Here are my planned races for 2013... some of them are penciled in due to finalizing the fall football game attendance schedule, but the spring races are pretty much in written in pen.


First up-  Des Moines 10K  Saturday March 16th 10 a.m.  I was going to run the St. Paddy's Day run in Chi-Town, but we have great friends in Des Moines who have been asking us to bring the kids for the weekend so this will be a perfect time to go visit.  I'm not really into St. paddy's Day- not Irish (German/Polish) but it sounds like a fun race.  Ladies start first with a 5 1/2 minute lead then the men start.  Whomever (female vs. male) crosses the finish line first then that gender gets the free beer at the after race party.  I'm kind of looking forward to coming up with some really obnoxious/fun outfit for this race. 

Next up- Ronald McDonald House Iowa City 1/2 marathon.  Remember last year I was going to run the 10 miler for this race, well I didn't get it done, but this year they have up'd it to a 1/2 marathon and so I plan on running this year.  Sunday May 5th.  This race is partnering with another local race: Run for the Schools 1/2 marathon in October (20th to be specific).  If you sign up for both and run both you save money (cost of both races $70 total) and you get an extra shirt with "Iowa's longest marathon" on it .  Get it- run 1/2 in May and the other 1/2 in October- sounds like my kind of marathon this year :).

Then I plan to run the Chicago Women's Half Marathon, Sunday June 23rd.  I love running in Chicago and couldn't pass up this race who's lead charity is the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women initiative. 

Following this race I'll participate in  the "I Tried a Triathlon" in Oswego, IL (mini-sprint TRI- I did last year), Sunday August 4, 2013.  

Lastly, Run for the Schools 1/2 marathon Sunday October 20, 2013. 

So sounds like a pretty busy running year, but no full marathon, which I'm o.k. with.  However, I plan to stay motivated in my running and put in the miles this year and try to again reach 1,000+++ in 2013. 

I've always followed Hal Higdon's training schedule for 1/2 marathons and marathons.  So this year I feel like trying something a little different.  I'm going to try the Another Mother Runner 1/2 marathon "Own It" plan.  This plan will be for the training of the Chicago's 1/2 in June.  So I printed out the "Run Pretty Far" free PDF calendar on their blog site.  I penciled in my training schedule and what it comes down to is 4 runs a week and one day of cross training.  Doesn't sound to0 bad or unrealistic, but these ladies know how to make running four days a week a little confusing.    I'll share what I mean in a separate post with the plan outlined in depth.  I recently asked a fellow "daily miler" how she kept straight the running schedule for particular workouts on the Another Mother Runner Plans (she followed the Marathon Own It Plan which is BADA>> Mother Hard).  She said she would sharpie the workout on her arm- that is how complex some of their workouts are.  The 1/2 marathon plan is a little less intimidating and so I'm going to try it.  I will start this schedule the last week in March.  It ramps up pretty quickly (first long run 8, then 10, then 12, etc).  So if I don't want to totally bomb it I will have to keep running and will have to keep doing some long runs. 

Only a couple more weeks left in January- plan to continue with the 1 mile or more daily and then take the first week of February off.  I can't remember the last time I took a full week off (well actually I think it was the week after Chicago-- October 2012).  I need to reboot my mind/body and get ready for some fun 1/2 marathon training. 

One interesting thing the cost of all of these races still comes in under what it would have cost me to race Chicago 2013- cost has raised to $175 entry (I remember the day when the cost was under $100).  Sorry total side note there. 

Well off to bed to read so here's my 2013 plan.  I'll keep you posted on the progress.  Any of my running buddies interested in joining me on any of these running adventures I'm happy to have you jump on board.  Happy 2013 Running! Thought I'd leave you with a couple of my favorite running quotes/graphics.

 
different quotes- but totally motivating!

No comments:

Post a Comment