Netgalley

Professional Reader

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

August Reads

An Irish Country Village
An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor
I read this book, because my mom has read almost or all of the books by this author in the series.  It was a "fun" read, but not a ton of excitement for me and I just wasn't as in to it as my mom was.  I don't think I will be reading the rest of the books in the series. 
 
      Small Miracles: Extraordinary Coincidences from Everyday Life
Small Miracles: Extraordinary Coincidences from Everyday Life by Judith Leventhal and Yitta Halberstam
This was one of those books that you read and some of the stories you just can't believe, but you pretty much know that the authors wouldn't lie, or you'd like to think they wouldn't lie.  It is one of those books that reminds you of the everyday things that can happen that are truly amazing.  Long lost friends finding each other after the war at a supermarket, sisters finding each other after being separated at birth, etc, etc.  It was an easy ready and short stories so easy to pick up and put down when needed.
 
      Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen
I LOVED THIS BOOK!  I listened to it on audio and LOVED it so much I plan to purchase it the next time I find it at the Half-Price book store or find it at Goodwill :).  It was a great audiobook and made my long runs more enjoyable.  I loved the honesty with which Anna Quindlen wrote this book.  I'm wondering though my favorite question after I read a memoir- what does memoir mean- what part of the book isn't biographical or autobiographical in this case?  Read this book- I think anyone can get something out of it or relate to it.   
 
      The End of Your Life Book Club
The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe
I listened to this book on audio during the trip to Virginia and then ended up finishing at the beginning of August.  It was O.K.  It was pretty intellectual- a lot of politics/international refugee/war/cancer- a real feel good book.  O.k. I'm being a little snarky.  I had read some of the books this son/mother team read and enjoyed hearing them talk about those books, but unlike other books that review past reads/personal reads I wasn't frantically writing down books to add to my "to read" list.  Maybe I would have liked this book better if I had read it.
 
 
The Age of Miracles
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
This was our book club book and I really enjoyed it.  It is dystopian, but very real life writing.  I loved her writing style and could say I thought she was an extremely "smart writer". I'm amazed when people can write so clearly about the end of the world or that genre, because it is as if they have a crystal ball and can see what is going to happen before it happens therefore allowing them to write so realistically.  I enjoyed this one and recommend it!
 
A good month of reading.  Looking forward to some good reading in September.   

No comments:

Post a Comment