Netgalley

Professional Reader

Monday, June 16, 2014

Week 7 training for Pigman 70.3

The summer is flying by and I really feel like all time is accounted for now until August 19th, when the kids go back to school.  I feel the same for my summer of training.  I'm at week 8 of my training schedule and looking forward to how to get it all done this week, but I'm getting ahead of myself and need to look back at last week. 

Last week's stats:
Swim: 3200 meters
Bike: 53 miles
Run: 21.4 miles
Total: 65 miles

That is a lot of time working out right?  Well why then did I step on the scale this morning and find I had gained another lb?  Now I'm not a scale person, but I have been trying to weigh myself once weekly to try and keep myself honest about my intake.  So where had I gone wrong last week?  What a way to start a Monday...

I don't want to sound whiny or wimpy, but why oh why would I be gaining weight working out that much?  Well it all comes back to a few things: moderation, intake, and possible being a girl- sorry TMI- "time of the month".  So I've never been great at moderation (which is a theme of most of my life- I can't just read one Newberry Award winner, I think I need to read them all to really say I've done something).  I can't just have one glass of wine I have to have at least two.  Etc, etc, etc.  So what do I do?  I can't go back to the "cleanse eating" I was doing at the beginning of the year- although I really liked the number I saw on the scale, but I just can't risk being not well fueled, low energy, tired, and crabby right now.  I need to find a balance.  I think that is likely a theme for my life- balance. 

I have been putting in the time with swim, bike and run (not perfect). Last week I was supposed to do 4200 meters for swim and only did 3200 meters, but I got the "monkey" off my back when I swam 80 laps of free style straight for 2000 meters.  So if I can put in the time I also have to put in the time for fueling.  I know it isn't rocket science, it is about decision making, but when you are an "emotional eater"/"rewarder" like me you find decision making isn't always logical because of emotions.  I know I'm a broken record, but when I've biked 40 miles and run 15 minutes after that bike I think "wow I deserve some yummy drinks and food tonight".  Or "I'm so exhausted (typically occurs at work about 2pm daily) I need to go get coffee"- well then the coffee turns into a peanut butter cookie, because well "I ran this morning".

So day by day different choices will need to be made/have to be made.  I will have to find a different way to "reward" myself or "comfort" myself. I need to eat or think like my coworker/my good friend who doesn't believe in diets, but believes in healthy eating- making smart choices.  I also got to thinking that another thing I was making a priority during the "cleanse diet" in January was the strength training as part of the exercise program.  Not sure quite how I will fit this in, but I have to find a way.   Some of my tri friends have stated that during "the season" they just can't focus on weight training, but something to work on during "off season".  Strength training also isn't for weight loss only, but also to strengthen parts of my body that need and have to be strong to perform for 70.3 miles.  The muscles most needed strengthening: abs, glutes, back, and arms.  The part of my body that hurt the most after the 39 mile bike and then brick to run for 15 minutes- my lower right back- the area I fell with the "fish tank" injury few years ago.  I tried to do some deep breathing like I learned way back in beginner yoga classes to help ease the pain.  All I could think about when running was in the race I will need to ride 56 miles and then run a 1/2 marathon. I best suck up this pain I'm only having to endure for 15 minutes, because the race will be much longer and harder. 

So although a successful, but challenging week of workouts I continue to feel challenged by this whole training for 70.3. I guess if it wasn't so challenging everyone would be doing it. Each week has brought something interesting or eye opening or something to learn or be taught from.  One week it was the Open Water Swim, one week was the need for a physical Break, and on and on and on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment