Netgalley

Professional Reader

Monday, October 3, 2011

Marathon Bound...



Well I can't believe it is 6 days before I run my fourth Chicago Marathon.  So many different emotions are buzzing in my head.  I felt pretty restless last night before bed, that kind of restless that you experience the night before a race. 

So what do I do the 6 days before a marathon.  Try to keep it easy, so only running 4 miles two times this week.  Trying to stay well hydrated- drank at least 8 8 oz glasses of water, milk or low calorie juice during a day. Fueling up on healthy carbs, protein, and vitamin C. Trying to get decent sleep.  Stretching, icing and Naproxen.  Update my marathon playlist and set the music up to get me through the tough parts of the marathon- which could be mile 4-Mile 20 :). 

Don't know whether it is just me being hypersensitive to what will occur at the end of the week or what, but my body feels like it is challenging me.  My left knee has been bothering me- just a "I'm getting old/arthritic" feeling.  My back- not the side I hurt with the infamous "fish tank" injury- the other is sore/tight.  My shins are sore too.  I know, I know-probably just my psyche playing with me.  But I will try to prophylactically medicate and stretch, etc to ward off evil. 

I've told myself that the important thing on Sunday is to keep perspective and remind myself that if I finish the marathon that is an accomplish in and of its self.  Secretly I do want to run fast and keep my streak of beating my marathon time as I have each year I've done the marathon, but I know that probably isn't in the cards this year.  I can still hope.  The weather is also another obstacle- I really don't like running in heat- and 73 is "hot" for this runner.  I'm hoping a cold front will somehow come in and 34-45 degree dry sunny day will be more my style.  So I guess I end this post a little pessimistic so I'm off to stretch and downward dog my down-ness away.

 Funny how what seems like "only yesterday" I was worried I wasn't going to be able to run at all- following "fish tank",-but now I'm worried about not running fast enough or in the perfect "chattynatty" weather condition.  So I guess I need to "buck up" and take my own words of encouragement I've given to others- "its not how fast you run a marathon, its that you are even able to step up to the start line and run it and then finish it"; because really people can talk about how they would run a marathon, but "I can't run it at my goal 8 min mile pace so I won't run it".  Anyone who toes the start line to any race be it a 1 mile, 3 mile, 8 mile, 13.1, 26.2, etc and trains to the best of their ability ( because really the training is the hardest part), is a winner in my book. 

Many of my peeps are running races this weekend and the next and I wish all you girls the best- I'm super proud to call you some of my favorite running buddies!
In honor of 6 days until the marathon here are 6 quotes I found motivational and true in regard to marathons.

"We are different, in essence, from other {wo}men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon."
Emil Zatopek

"Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run a race to see who has the most guts."
Steve Prefontaine

"What matters is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
Dwight D. Eisenhower- Side note I thought this one was pretty good and when I shared it with Matt he just said "wow" not like "wow- what a quote" it was "wow- dumb a%# you've never heard that before"- nope I hadn't.

"The will to win means nothing if you haven't the will to prepare."
Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner


"I've learned that finishing a marathon isn't just an athletic achievement. It's a state of mind; a state of mind that says anything is possible."
John Hanc, running writer


"The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed."
Jacqueline Gareau, 1980 Boston Marathon champ

No comments:

Post a Comment