Netgalley

Professional Reader

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Reader


So my first book for the February Reading program at our local library is complete.  This was a quick read. Bernhard Schlink's The Reader is written well and I felt his writing was intelligent and at times beautiful.  It was a story that I found fascinating and yet wanted more detail; however, I think that was the style of this book that "less is more" to leave the reader to his/her own interpretation of what the details of the story were.  It is a historical fiction piece which starts pre world war II and ends long after Schindler's list came out.  Stories about the holocaust have always intrigued me and I enjoy reading about this time period, although it is not a happy period in history.  The Reader was a great start to my February reading.  I'm onto The Invention of Hugo Cabret.  My son is hesitant to read the book with me ( I think he is a little intimidated by the drawings, which are beautiful, yet a little dark done in pencil form).  I'm off to make Sunday School cookies and start another book.  What a nice way to spend a Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment