Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Playlists... but first thing first

So I will get to the real meat of the Post in just a few lines, but wanted to share the following quote. The below is in reference to Gary Williams, Maryland Terrapins men's b-ball coach announcing retirement.

Maryland's Gary Williams is a throwback to an era when coaching meant making good players great instead of babysitting great players for a year or two, writes Dana O'Neil.

I don't know Gary Williams personally, but do know that I think he is an "old school" b-ball coach and based on the above quote think my general thoughts on him are correct.  He is class act who gets the big picture. Now I don't know Dana O'Neil, she could be his daughter just using her married name, but I do think this quote is accurate for describing what is happening to sports.


O.k. back to topic at hand... Music means a lot to me. I remember putting on the records in our Circle Drive East house (my sister and I) and we dancing to "Hooked on Classics", "Lost Horizon", "Sound of Music" and even "Up with People"- all my parents genre.  Music has always had a profound affect on my mood.  I probably should utilize it more in my daily life.  I should probably also get back into playing the piano much more frequently than I do.  I have one Sonatina by Clementi which I can still pound out decently, but my sight reading is less than desirable. O.k.- no really back to topic at hand.  Music means even more to me when it comes to working out.  Music is a total motivator for me.  In the "Run Like a Mother" book they discuss the music/playlist topic.  They discuss the importance of changing it up a bit and also how different music is relevant to different runs.  Here are some excerpts...

In the Chapter Running Partners: friends, indeed...  Jam for the Ladies page 67...
There's something just groovy and empowering about listening to an all-chick playlist on a run.  Or at least we think so....

Here are some of our faves: pg 67
"Jam fo rthe Ladies by Moby
"Long Time Gone" by Dixie Chicks - this is one of my all time favorites been on both my half-marathon and marathon play-lists
"Freeway" by Aimee Mann
"Suddenly I See " by KT Tunstall
"My Moon My Man" by Feist
"Stronger" by Britney Spears
"Power to the Meek" by Eurythmics
"Heartache for Everyone" by the Indigo Girls
"Right in Time" by Lucinda Williams
"Light Enough to Travel" by the Be Good Tanyas
" 4 Minutes" by Madonna
"Disturbia" by Rihana
"Whenever, Wherever" by Shakira
"Head over Heels" by the Go-Go's
"My Life Would Suck Without You" by Kelly Clarkson
"Soak up the Sun" by Sheryl Crow
"Surrendering" by Alanis Morissette
"Change" by Tracy Chapman
"I Run for Life" by Melissa Etheridge

In Chapter Speed: Distance Cranking It Up:

Long Playlist for Running Log page 85
"When You're Falling " By Afro Celt Soundsytem
"In the Colors" by Ben Harper
"Catch My Disease" by Ben Lee
"Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution" by the Black Crowes
"The Rising" by Bruce Springstein
"I will Survive" by Cake
"Hard Sun (main)" By Eddie Vedder
"Heaven Right Here (come over to my yard)"  by Jeb Loy Nichols
"Life of the Living" by Jeffrey Gaines
" All these Things that I've Done" by the Killers---- ALL TIME NATALIE RUNNING PLAYLIST PICK I've got soul but I'm not a soldier, I've got soul but I'm not a soldier, I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" Favorite part of the song.
"Down to Earth" by Peter Gabriel
"Skinny Love" by Bon Iver
"Snow (Hey Oh)" By Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Such Great Heights" by Postal Service
"I Don't Feel Like Dancin" by the Scissor Sisters"
"Viva La  Vida" by Coldplay
"Read by Mind" by the Killers
"Ill Go Crazy if I don't Go Crazy Tonight" by U2
"Fill Her Up" by Sting
"Between Love and Hate" by the Strokes
"Blue Ridge laughing" by Carbon Leaf
"Grace is Gone" by Dave Matthews Band
"When Your Mind's Made Up" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
"LA County" by Lyle Lovett
"Scare Easy" by Mudcrutch

OK so I haven't heard of most of these, well I think I haven't heard of them, I'm not real good about knowing the actual name to the songs I listen to, nor the words... However, I intend to look at these on I Tunes and figure out if they are something I need to become familiar with.  New beats/rhythm is helpful in keeping runs fresh, at least I think making new playlists adds to better runs for me personally. 

Here are some of my personal top picks from year's past  and current training.

Hells Bells and Highway to Hell by AC/DC- yes let there be rock!
A Little Less Conversation  by Elvis Presley
Fast as You can by Fiona Apple
Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell  - not every song in your playlist hast to be fast/upbeat.  This is not a fast song, but has great/powerful meaning, because Mason was born when this song was playing, plus from Love Actually great movie!
Send Me On My Way by Rusted Root
Long Way Around by Dixie Chicks (again up there with Killers song as top race run or any run for that matter)
Miami by Counting Crows
Unemployed Boyfriend by Everclear
Us by Regina Spektor (again up there with Long Way Around and Killer's song for top motivator for running- great tempo beat with piano)

Happy Listening and if anyone has additional picks let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment