Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Mommy's Project 52: responsible

Being responsible can be a full time job +.  Where do we moms stop being responsible? When we are at a park and I'm sitting with a. a book to read b. a IPhone in the other hand c. good friend sitting on the bench next to me- so is being a responsible mom a. getting up and going to the play structure and help your child cross the monkey bars b. watch your child cross while you stay seated c. don't even notice your child hanging on for dear life because you are more focused on a,b,c listed above.

Sometimes I feel like you have to be "on" 24/7.  I don't want to be a "helicopter mom" nor do I want to be laid back "go ahead kid hang on for dear life- you'll figure out how to cross those bars".  There is a halfway mark isn't there, gosh I hope there is.

Does being responsible just end with safety, you know providing home, healthcare, food, clothes, etc. For most moms and dads responsibility means much more.  When your kiddo is struggling academically, and despite the fact you or your spouse don't have a degree in education/teaching, you still feel responsible to work with them on reading, writing, math, etc.  I feel responsible if they fail.  Being responsible is tough.  Sometimes I wonder if you/I were less responsible would our kids turn out any different.  Now I'm not saying sit back and watch them jump off the roof, but what if you just let them be sometimes and not be so darn responsible.

It would be an interesting experiment.  Pulling away a little and letting them be more responsible.












1 comment:

  1. That is so hard, you're right. You can't do everything for them, but, it's tough to watch them struggle. Finding that balance is difficult. Sometimes I'm better at it than others.

    ReplyDelete