Netgalley

Professional Reader

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

6 more to go....

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss was my fourth book in my "marathon" reading list.  I finished it over Thanksgiving and very much enjoyed the story.  The main character Leo (who is also the author of the History of Love) is an old, ornery man whose love for Alma (childhood sweetheart) is so felt throughout this book.  The love of these two begins during World War II and although it is not talked of, horrific/devastating losses to both these people are felt during the story.  The other main character in the book is a young teen whose name also happens to be Alma (her parents named her after the Alma in the book History of Love).  This young lady is entertaining and I enjoyed the way in which the author wrote her chapters in almost list forms with dates and numbers as an organizational tool for the younger Alma's chapters.  I won't say much more because I don't want to give too much away, but Leo and the young Alma's stories are entwined.  It was a good read, not the happiest of stories, but I think one of true love. 

I am now off to read John Adams by David McCullough- book club book so doesn't help my book marathon due to finish at the end of February (6 more to go).  So far I'm 70 pages into this mamoth book and actually finding myself enjoying it quite readily.  My goal is to have it done by X-mas break, but unsure if that is unrealistic (736 pages of unrealistic :)- you know ChattyNatty- she's got to have goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment