Netgalley

Professional Reader

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hunger Games


This month for book club we read "The Hunger Games".  We talked about reading it last year and I went to the library to look into this book everyone was talking about and found the largest "hold" list I've ever seen at our two libraries.  (30 holds at one and 12 holds at another). So we didn't read it last year and so here we are a year later and the "hold" list was still long especially because of the hype with the movie coming out so I bought it on sale.  It was a great read and I'm thankful for book club which made me read the book.  I thought it was very well written and a quick read.  I wonder what age this book is appropriate for in regard to it being Young Adult literature. I know some 6th graders who have read it and the subject matter is pretty Adult to me, but maybe I'm becoming an old conservative lady :).

The story is basically post apocalypse and children have to fight each other to the death to determine which "district" wins.  12 Districts in total and 2 children (1 girl, 1 boy) from each district fight each other in this- what I would call huge terrarium. The environment is controlled by head political leaders, natural disasters occur during the "games" to challenge the children. The story's main character Katniss is a great heroine.  She is strong, courageous, athletic and logical.  The story is based on her time and outcome during "the Hunger games".  I probably shouldn't say too much more and give the story away.  I really enjoyed it and now am reading the second "Catching Fire".  Don't know if I will be running out to see the movie any time soon.  Kind of like books better than movies most of the time and don't want to be too disappointed :).  So get your name on the "hold" list for your library's copies and read "The Hunger Games"- very entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment