Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Three for one

One post on the last three books I've read- that's what I mean

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett ended up being much better than I expected.  I had started Bel Canto by Ann Patchett a few summers ago and really didn't like the story and it was one of those "John Adams" (meaning I didn't finish it).  So I wasn't really, like I said, looking forward to it, but I was pleasantly surprised, entertained and the book went by rather quickly.  The books main character Marina Singh is a pharmaceutical researcher from Minnesota who travels into the African jungle to get some answers.  I won't go into the story to much because I hate when people write too much about a book and give information away.  I really enjoyed this book and recommend it.


Away by Amy Bloom was on my "to read" list and I recently went to our local library's book sale and found it on the shelf.  I picked it up for $1 and started reading it after State of Wonder.  It is a story about another main character- woman- Lillian Leyb.  The book starts in the 1920's and begins primarily with Lillian's travels to America through Ellis Island.  It was an interesting story and took place over varied places in America (New York- Alaska).  She was very detailed at times, a little too much for my imagination, but it was another easy read.

Lastly- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.  It is the first book I have ever seen on the hold list at the two libraries I frequent in RED and I put my name on both "hold" lists (#30 on one and # 16 at other).  So when I found it on sale at good old Walmart for $6.30 I jumped at it.  The book is great and I have since put my name on the hold list again for the 2nd in the trilogy- Catching Fire.  Another lead lady is followed in this book- Katniss Everdeen.  Although this is a young adult fiction book I found it at times a little more adult than young adult, but maybe I'm just getting old.  Again won't give too much of the plot, but I highly recommend getting your name on the HOLD list at your local library to read this book.  


No comments:

Post a Comment